Carleton Quaterback prepares to throw a pass, ca. 1953

The early 1950s were trying years for the Ravens. The low enrolment and roster numbers left Coach McWatters with a "patchwork" team. High scoring losses against teams in the newly formed Ottawa-St. Lawrence Conference left the Ravens low on morale. Ravens football came to a grinding halt, with no inter-varsity team in the 1951 season after the loss of college grant money. The seemingly bleak future of the Ravens was brightened when the college revived the program in 1952. Norm Fenn, assistant coach and full-time director of Athletics, provided the first link between the college administration and the football team, and would prove vital in the years to come. The new team entered a league with Macdonald College, Bishop's University and St. Patrick's College. There was little carryover of players from the previous decade, but the new players were ready and willing pupils.

The Ravens were on their way to a significant turnaround in 1953, with their first winning season. The new head coach, Bill Stanton, led the team to winning games against Loyola (now Concordia University) and McGill. For the first time, in 1954, Carleton was in the running for a league title. They ended the season in a tie for second place with the Royal Military College (RMC), and won the first Panda game in 1955. This season was one of the best in Ravens' history, with Carleton holding first in the league until a final game with the University of Ottawa (U of 0). However, the success would be shortlived1955 to 1959 were not to be as successful as the years before. The competition grew with the establishment of the Ontario Intercollegiate Football League, with the inclusion of the University of Ottawa, RMC, McMaster University, University of Waterloo and the Ontario Agricultural and Veterinary College at Guelph (now University of Guelph).

Football program, 1955

Key Game - From 1947 to 1953, the Ravens had lost to the University of Ottawa nine consecutive times. The showdown on Oct. 15, 1953 was to be a very different story. By the end of the first quarter, the Gee-Gees were up 1-0. Raven Ed Gladu came in with two unconverted touchdowns in the first and second quarters. By half time, Carleton led 10-1. With one unconverted touchdown in the fourth as the only response, Carleton rode to victory with a 10-6 win. For the first time in team history, Carleton was triumphant against the Gee-Gees.

Key Player - The 6'0", 185 lb. half-back rookie was the key player in the first win against the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees in 1953. A graduate of the Ottawa Technical High School, Gladu was a well-known local star before joining the Ravens.  In a game against the Ravens' first opponents, Macdonald College, Gladu scored two touchdowns.

By the end of the 1953 season, Gladu had scored 32 points, 17 in league play, which made him the highest Carleton scorer in history at that time. (Big Ed) Gladu quickly became the conference scoring champ. Cumulatively, the 1953 and 1954 seasons put him at 52 points. Unfortunately, he broke his leg in the summer of 1955 and was unable to join the Ravens for that season.

Statistics (wins/loses/ties)

  • 1950 (0/8/0)
  • 1952 (0/6/0)
  • 1953 (4/2/1)
  • 1954 (2/3/0)
  • 1955 (4/2/0)
  • 1956 (2/5/0)
  • 1957 (1/6/0)
  • 1958 (1/6/0)
  • 1959 (0/7/0)